Al Muhaymin: The Protector
More Names of Allah ta’ala here.
Al Muhaymin: The Protector, The Overseer
Linguistically, Al Muhaymin has several meanings.
1) It said to mean Al Ameen, the Trustworthy One and the One whom others are safe.
2) Muhaymin is also understood to be Mu’aymin, the ha (ه) read as a hamza (ء). Mu’aymin means One who offers Peace and Security.
3) Another meaning is said to be Ar Raqeeb, the Watcher, and Al Haafidh, the One who protects and Guards.
4) The fourth meaning is Ash Shaahid, the Watchful One, the One who Observes.
Muhaymin is from the root, hayminah, ha-ya-meem-noon (ه ي م ن). The Qur’an has been called ‘muhaymin’ (5:48), وَأَنزَلْنَا إِلَيْكَ الْكِتَابَ بِالْحَقِّ مُصَدِّقًا لِّمَا بَيْنَ يَدَيْهِ مِنَ الْكِتَابِ وَمُهَيْمِنًا عَلَيْهِ “And We have sent down to you the Book in truth, confirming the Scripture that came before it and Muhaymin (trustworthy in highness and a witness) over it” and we understood two meanings from this:
a) The one who watches and looks after. Literally this verb is used for when a hen spreads her wings and covers her chicks. So protecting, guarding, completely covering and controlling.
b) It also means haakim, to judge.
Proof for this Name
This Name is mentioned only once in the Qur’an in suratul Hashr, ayah 23. However, the meanings that come under Muhaymin appear several times in the Qur’an. For example: in surah Yunus ayah 46, اللَّهُ شَهِيدٌ عَلَىٰ مَا يَفْعَلُونَ Allah is a Shaheed, He observes the actions of the people. Similarly, in suratun Nisa ayah 1, إِنَّ اللَّهَ كَانَ عَلَيْكُمْ رَقِيبًا, Allah watches over everyone.
If Allah is Al Muhaymin, what does it mean?
1) Ibn Katheer says quoting ibn Abbass radi Allahu anhu: Al Muhaymin is the One who observes His creation with regards to their actions. He is watching whatsoever they are doing and He is ash Shaahid. We learn from surah Ra’d ayah 33: أَفَمَنْ هُوَ قَائِمٌ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ نَفْسٍ بِمَا كَسَبَتْ Is then He Who takes charge of every person and knows all that he has earned (like any other deities who know nothing)? Allah ta’ala is qaa’iman, an overseer and watcher. From surah Burooj we learn, وَاللَّهُ عَلَىٰ كُلِّ شَيْءٍ شَهِيدٌ“And Allah is a Witness over everything” (85:9). In surah Yunus, Allah ta’ala says: وَمَا تَكُونُ فِي شَأْنٍ وَمَا تَتْلُو مِنْهُ مِنْ قُرْآنٍ وَلَا تَعْمَلُونَ مِنْ عَمَلٍ إِلَّا كُنَّا عَلَيْكُمْ شُهُودًا إِذْ تُفِيضُونَ فِيهِ ۚ وَمَا يَعْزُبُ عَنْ رَبِّكَ مِنْ مِثْقَالِ ذَرَّةٍ فِي الْأَرْضِ وَلَا فِي السَّمَاءِ وَلَا أَصْغَرَ مِنْ ذَٰلِكَ وَلَا أَكْبَرَ إِلَّا فِي كِتَابٍ مُبِينٍ,Whatever you may be doing, and whatever portion you may be reciting from the Quran, and whatever deed you may be doing, We are Witness thereof, when you are doing it. And nothing is hidden from your Lord (so much as) the weight of an atom on the earth or in the heaven. Not what is less than that or what is greater than that but is in a Clear Record (10:61). Allah is Watching every person’s actions. It is the same for Allah if we do something in public or private; He knows what we are doing.
2) If Allah is Al Muhaymin it means He will not reduce the deeds at all. He will not reduce the good deeds of the good doer and He will not reduce or increase the sins of the sinful, He will keep the deeds exactly as they are.
3) If Allah is Al Muhaymin it means that He knows what is harmful for you and what is beneficial for you. Whatever Allah has told us is true. The One who Watches over everything knows what is good and bad, so His criteria is what is to be followed. He determines what is haqq. As mentioned before, haymin means haakim, so Al Haakim, He determines what is true and what is false.
4) If Allah is Al Muhaymin it means He protects His creation. Remember the literal meaning of this word: the hen covering its chicks with its wings, similarly Allah covers us with His Mercy and Protection.
To summarize: the Name al Muhaymin has several other meanings. Such as: Samee’ (All Hearing), Baseer (All Seeing), Shaheed (Witness), ‘Aleem (All Knowing), Hafeedh (Guarding), and Qadeer (Powerful).
So if Allah is Al Muhaymin, what are we expected to do?
a) We must be mindful of Allah, and be aware of the fact that He is Watching us. We should be considerate of this fact, He is Observing us. And in every state, in secret, private, in our thoughts or actions, Allah knows what we are doing. No hijaab bars Allah from Watching us. The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, be mindful of Allah and Allah will protect you. (Tirmidhi) What will He protect you from? From harm, and also in particular, when you are mindful of Allah, He protects you from committing sins. Allah has told you what is right and wrong, so how can you disobey Allah? If someone told you not to do this or that, would you do so in front of them? No, rather you would do so when they are not watching. But Allah is Watching you no matter what state you are in, HOW can we disobey Allah? What type of audacity it takes, Allah knows what is in my heart and what I have done. How can we commit sins? There is no place where Allah is not Watching you. Out of respect for Him, we should not commit sins. Allah ta’ala says in surah Ibrahim ayah 42: وَلَا تَحْسَبَنَّ اللَّهَ غَافِلًا عَمَّا يَعْمَلُ الظَّالِمُونَ, Do not think that Allah is heedless and unaware of what the wrong doers are doing, إِنَّمَا يُؤَخِّرُهُمْ لِيَوْمٍ تَشْخَصُ فِيهِ الْأَبْصَارُ, He is only delaying and deferring them to a Day when the eyes will stare in horror. So if Allah does not catch us immediately with our sins, don’t think that you’ve gotten away with it and that Allah is Ghafoor and Raheem, we are only shown part of the consequence. We should avoid committing sins out of respect for Allah, and know that He is Watching us at all times.
b) If Allah is Al Muhaymin, He knows what is good and bad for us, then we should accept His commands for us, because He will only command that which is good and beneficial for us. Also, pray istikhaarah to Him, which literally means to “seek khayr (goodness)”, because He knows what is better for you.
c) If Allah is Al Muhaymin, we should have contentment with what He has decreed for us. If I look a certain way, if my height is a certain height, if my appearance is a certain way, if something I want is not happening-this is Allah’s Qadr. We should have contentment in what He decreed. He says in the Qur’an, أَلَا يَعْلَمُ مَنْ خَلَقَ, Does He not know who He created? وَهُوَ اللَّطِيفُ الْخَبِيرُ, and He is the Kind and All Aware (67:14). Only when you accept the decree of Allah, things will be easy for you. If Allah has decreed something and you don’t like it, will things change? No. Will you benefit? No. But if you accept it, you can change it and benefit and use what Allah decreed for you for good.
d) We should know that He protects everyone like the example of the hen that covers its chicks. So when we want help or need assistance, call upon Al Muhaymin, He will give it to you. Make the duaa when you cannot make enough ibaadah and dhikr: Allahumma a’innee ‘alaa dhikrika wa shukrika wa husni ebaadatika O Allah, help me to remember You, to thank You, and to worship You in the best way. When we learn the qualities of the believers and we do not find those qualities within us, don’t think they are too great to reach but rather make duaa to Al Muhaymin to assist you to reach them.
e) Allah has called the Qur’an, Muhaymin in (5:48), so we should use this Muhaymin. Right after the ayah that this is mentioned, Allah says: فَاحْكُمْ بَيْنَهُمْ بِمَا أَنْزَلَ اللَّهُ, so judge between them with what Allah has sent down (5:48). We need to use and implement the Qur’an, not just use it to study for our tests and let it sit on our shelves.
Duaa with this Name
With regards to Al Muhaymin, there isn’t a duaa with this Name. However, the meaning of Muhaymin is found in many duaas just as the meanings of Muhaymin are throughout the Qur’an.
a) In one duaa the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam taught the companions to say before going to sleep with wudu to turn on your right side and say:
‘O Allah, I submit my soul unto You, and I entrust my affair unto You, and I turn my face towards You, and I totally rely on You, in hope and fear of You. Verily there is no refuge nor safe haven from You except with You. I believe in Your Book which You have revealed and in Your Prophet whom You have sent.’
So when you go to sleep, seek protection from Al Muhaymin.
b) In Bayhaqi, there is a hadeeth where a Bedouin came to the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam and said: teach me a duaa in which Allah will benefit me. He taught him: اللهم لك الحمد كله و إليك يرجع الامر كله“Allahumma lakal hamdu kuluh, wa ilayka uraj’ul amru kuluh, O Allah all praise is for You and all matters return to You”. In it is the mention is that Allah knows that which is good from bad and He judges. There are several duaas where you find the meaning that Allah gives protection, and mention that Allah knows everything, so all of those duaas come under this Name.
c) A salaf, Yahya ibn Mu’adh, used to make a duaa, a praise which is poetry with the Name Muhaymin. He says: “Jalaaluk ya Muhaymin laa yadeek, O Muhaymin, Your Glory never ends, wa Mulku daa’imun abadan, And your kingdom is eternal, wa Hukmuka naafidun fee kuli amr, and your Decision is implemented in every matter, wa laysa yakoonu ila ma tureed, and nothing happens except that which You Want, thunoobi la taduruka ya Ilaahee, my sins do not harm You my God, wa ‘afwuka naafiun, Your Pardon is beneficial, wa bihi tajoodu, and Your pardon is Your generosity”. He begins with Ya Muhaymin, and he talks about Allah’s Mulk, his own sins and this shows us that making duaa with His Names should be in our every day regular duaas, whatever we are feeling and a Name is relevant, mention what you’re feeling, praise Allah through that and say that duaa. For example, when you are far away from your family/parents, you feel that you are not that well protected, imagine the picture of the hen-Allah ta’ala will protect you, ask Him for His protection and read your morning and evening duaas.
Allahu ta’ala a’lam.