Want to Study Qur’an? Ta’leem al Qur’an: 2009!
Alhamdulillahi Rabbil Alameen, nahmaduhu Hamd ash-Shaakireen, thumma as-Salaatu was Salaamu ‘alaa Ashrafil Anbiyaa’i wal Mursaleen, nabbiyyinaa Muhammadin wa ‘alaa aalihi wa sahbihi ajma’een. wa ba’d:
In the Name of Allah. All praise and thanks is only for Allah, Rabb of all the worlds, we praise Him with the praise of the ones who give thanks then may the peace and blessings of Allah upon the most honorable of prophets and messengers, our Prophet Muhammad and upon all of his family and his companions. and to proceed:
Allah ta’ala mentions and asks us four times in Suratul Qamar:
وَلَقَدْ يَسَّرْنَا الْقُرْآنَ لِلذِّكْرِ فَهَلْ مِنْ مُدَّكِرٍ
and indeed We have made this Qur’an an easy remembrance, so is there any to remember? (54:17, 22, 32, 36)
The Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam said:
خيركم من تعلم القرآن و علمه
The Best amongst you are those who learn the Qur’an and teach it. (Saheeh Bukhari)
It’s been a long journey since I began the Ta’leem al Qur’an 2007 course. I cannot put my experience into words without crying to Allah ta’ala. Why? Because He blessed me to learn the Qur’an, His Speech, while many of His slaves wander blindly in darkness. Indeed we can never thank Allah as He Deserves.
I mentioned in the “About” page that most, if not all, of what I post is based on this full-time course i’m taking known as Ta’leem al Qur’an with Al-Huda Institute. Alhamdulillah I’ve been taking this course since last September, and inshaAllah will continue until December, and bi’ithnillah I will most likely take it again. This Institute was started by Dr Farhat Hashmi and her husband Dr Idrees Zubair, may Allah reward them both Ameen, with the goal of spreading the message of the Qur’an to all. This institute began in Pakistan and has spread to many other countries bi tawfeeqillah (with the success of Allah). This was the first time the course was being offered in English, since the mother language of Dr Farhat and Dr Zubair is Urdu. Alhamdulillah this was great news for people like me who are not from an urdu speaking country, that the Qur’an is being offered in our language!
Many people ask me where I have studied, and after praising and thanking Allah ta’ala for His guidance, I thank Al-Huda Institute, my teachers, the volunteers, and my classmates. I cannot express how grateful I am and how much I love each and every one of you for the sake of the One who blessed us with Islam.
Alhamdulillah it is with great pleasure that I spread the news to everyone who reads this blog that inshaAllah they will be starting two new Ta’leem al Qur’an courses in January and February inshaAllah. Please view the flier here for the full-time course: Ta’leem al Qur’an 2009 Course flier.
Here are some FAQs I get about this course:
1. What exactly is Ta’leem al Qur’an?
- Good question 🙂 Ta’leem literally means to learn something in a gradual and steady manner, over time so this course is a teaching of the Qur’an over time, in a steady manner. This course is a classical way of studying the Qur’an, where students are taught word for word, in the context of Arabic words (root words, grammar) as well as tafseer. There are two main components of the Ta’leem class which is word analysis and tafseer. Word analysis is where the teacher translates each word of the lesson word for word, discusses the root words, literal meanings, and meaning in the context of the ayah. Tafseer covers any ahadeeth, rulings, and more indepth meanings of the ayaat in detail. How many courses out there offer tafseer of the whole Qur’an in English? Gradually over time, students will begin grasping more Arabic and learn new vocabulary and inshaAllah when they are a few juz into the course, should be able to translate the Qur’an word for word in a fluent manner.
- Furthermore, this course not only covers tafseer and translation, you will be learning fiqh, uloom al Qur’an (sciences of the Qur’an), seerah, lives of the companions, duaas, Arabic grammar and more! MashaAllah it’s a very well rounded course that teaches its students many aspects of our deen.
2. Do I have to travel to Canada to take the course?
- Alhamdulillah you do not have to travel to Canada to take the course! Alhamdulillah, in keeping with Al-Huda’s goal of spreading the Qur’an to all, they offer these awesome courses online via paltalk and inspeak. Students who do not live in Canada, or even the US are able to take these courses from the comfort of their own home. SubhanAllah, what excuse is there to NOT learn the Qur’an? Allah ta’ala is bringing it RIGHT to your doorstep. I even have a classmate who takes this course from Malaysia! (may Allah ta’ala increase her in goodness Ameen.) What a huge blessing this is for us, as the students of knowledge of the past traveled miles and miles for knowledge, and nowadays we can access it with a click of a button.
3. I cannot commit the full-time schedule, are there any other options?
- Alhamdulillah yes there are other options! Although I would recommend students to take the full-time course, for those who are not able to commit to the time schedule there is a part time/evening course which starts in February inshaAllah. It will be twice a week, Tuesday and Wednesdays from 5:30-9:30pm inshaAllah. Info is available here. The full time course is Monday through Friday from 9:30am to 3:30pm inshaAllah.
4. I don’t know Arabic, will I be lost in class?
- NO! You will not be lost in class! Remember I said that ta’leem is a gradual and steady teaching? Alhamdulillah this course caters to everyone’s level of knowledge: the sister who doesn’t know Arabic will not be lost and the sister who has previous knowledge will not be bored. This course actually enhances your Arabic and you will definitely increase in vocabulary by the ending inshaAllah.
5. Is this course only for sisters?
- Yes this course is only for sisters, but inshaAllah I pray that a men’s class is started soon! So if you are a brother reading this, pass this information on to your female relatives, inshaAllah all the reward will be yours 🙂
- This course caters to sisters of all ages! I have classmates who are 12-15 years old, college students, mothers and even sisters who are grandmothers. Alhamdulillah my own mother hafidhahallah will be taking the upcoming course inshaAllah, even she follows along with me so don’t let your age be a reason to stop you, because it’s not a valid one, and the Qur’an was revealed for everyone.
If you have any more questions please write in the comments inshaAllah.
I sincerely ask you: do you want to be a companion of the Qur’an? Do you want to understand the words of your Rabb without using a translation? Do you want to have more khushoo’ in prayer? Do you want to be a life long student of the Qur’an?
Indeed we cannot do anything without the guidance, help and success from Allah and we ask Him for this, but if you would like to do these things, then register for this course and I promise you: bi’ithnillah you will not regret it.
InshaAllah in some upcoming posts, I will share benefits of this course and what I have gained from it and why you cannot afford to miss out.
We ask Allah ta’ala to make us all companions of the Qur’an, and to grant us beneficial knowledge and to accept our deeds with a goodly acceptance. Ameen.
wa lillahil hamd.